Saturday, April 5, 2014

Quinoa salad with Asian flavors

This is far from bland.

As the winter disappeared, so did my need for heavier foods. I have been craving fresh and sharp flavors already for a while now and I have especially been wanting to make salads and soups with Asian flavors. 

After browsing lots of recipes online I realized that soy sauce alone was not going to cut it, but that I would have to invest in some basic condiments: rice vinegar, sesame oil and fish sauce. Luckily I still had some euros left on a gift card to the local health food store (such an awesome christmas present!), so I went and hauled the missing staples. Then I boiled some quinoa and chopped up colorful vegetables, whisked together a nice sauce and combined them all into this healthy dish. I'm hooked!


Asian style quinoa salad & dressing

I n g r e d i e n t s

For the salad:
-quinoa, boiled
-cucumber, sliced and quartered
-carrot, shredded
-red lettuce (or red cabbage), shredded or sliced to strips
-red bell pepper, cut to strips

For the sauce (for one serving of salad):
-1/2 dl (1/4 cup) soy sauce 
-1 tbsp rice vinegar
-1 tbsp sesame oil
-1 tbsp chopped cilantro
-1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
-1 tbsp sesame seeds
-a pinch of dried red pepper flakes
-salt and pepper to taste

I n s t r u c t i o n s

Sauce:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a glass and whisk together with a fork.

Salad
1. Rinse the quinoa and boil + drain.
2. Mix the chopped veggies and toss with the quinoa.
3. Pour the sauce over the quinoa and vegetables and mix.

2 comments:

  1. Ihanat kuvat! :) Me ollaan syöty nyt viikon aikana neljä kertaa couscous-salaattia ja oon kans innostunu laittamaan myös porkkanaraastetta salaatteihin. Ruokaisat salaatit on kyllä ihan parhaita :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voi kiitos :) Mullakin on mennyt noita tuhteja salaatteja nyt aikamoiseen tahtiin. Ihan parasta lounaslaatikkokamaa :)

      Delete