Gluten free baking intimidates me. Actually, quite a few cooking-related things intimidate me, as I'm not overly experienced in the kitchen. I used to read a lot about different techniques and ingredients, but then I somehow never ended up trying them out. Well out with the old and in with the new, that's what this blog is for - and now I've successfully baked something gluten free!
These healthy cookies / biscuits were inspired by Minka (blog in finnish) and modified according to what I had at home. Plus I added some lemon zest, of course, as it is a current obsession of mine.
Easy gluten free 5+1 ingredient fig biscuits, 12 small crunchy pieces
I n g r e d i e n t s
4-6 large dried figs, chopped, hard tops removed
1 dl (< 1/2 cup) almond flour (or finely ground almonds)
1 tsp baking powder
1-2 tbsp milk
(the zest of 1/3 or 1/4 lemon, acc. to taste and personal preference)
I n s t r u c t i o n s
1. Mix the flour and baking powder. Add in the chopped figs.
2. In another bowl, combine eggs and milk.
3. Mix the contents of bowls 1. and 2.
4. Roll the dough into 6 small balls and place on a baking sheet.
5. Bake for ca 15 minutes (until golden) at 175°C / 350°F.
6. Lower the temperature to 100°C / 215°F. Take the biscuits out of the oven and cut them in half and put back into the oven.
7. Let the biscuits dry until crispy, ca 1.5 hours.
8. Let cool and store in a tightly sealed jar.