Monday, March 31, 2014

Asparagus Polonaise with a Finnish twist


Last week I bought the first asparagus of the year (mostly because "when it is spring, you kind of have to buy asparagus"), not really knowing what I would cook. I figured I could steam it and poach an egg for an easy dinner, but then I remembered seeing a recipe for Asparagus Polonaise in the Brunch-cookbook I have in my bookshelf. 

Polonaise requires white breadcrumbs, egg and herbs, and since I didn't have any white bread at hand, I substituted that with rye sourdough breadcrumbs. Ask any finn what they miss when they're abroad, and I'm pretty sure they will say rye bread. So, I guess this 15-minute dish can be called Finnish asparagus (or at least Polish Asparagus with a Finnish twist)!



Asparagus Finlandaise, serves one

I n g r e d i e n t s
1 hard boiled egg
4-5 stalks green asparagus
1 slice (sourdough) rye bread
a small handful fresh parsley
1-2 tbsp butter
salt
black pepper

I n s t r u c t i o n s
1. Peel the asparagus and cut off the "wooden" ends and rinse.
2. Boil the asparagus for 4-5 minutes in salted water.
3. While waiting for asparagus to boil: finely chop the boiled egg, parsley and bread crumbs. This can also be done the night before to save some time in the morning!
4. Melt butter in a saucepan, set half aside and lightly toast the breadcrumbs in what's left.
5. Mix the breadcrumbs with the parsley and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Drain the asparagus and pat dry. (You can also dunk them in cold water first if you don't want to eat them warm.)
7. Plate the asparagus, cover the ends of the stalks with the crumb mix and drizzle with the leftover butter from step 4.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Näyttää hyvältä. Ihanaa, kun on parsa-aika. Pari nippua meilläkin on jo syöty, ja parsaa tulee syötyä paljon niin kauan kuin vain kaupassa edullisia nippuja riittää.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Täälläkin syödään ihan kyllästymiseen asti :)

      Delete